The institute is located in the city of Surat, the diamond city of India at a distance of about 2 kms from Surat Railway Station and is 263 kms from Mumbai by rail.
Surat has a hot tropical climate. Being close to the sea, winter is mild & pleasant. In summer, the temperature may soar as high as 40 C.
Means of Communication:
Surat is well connected by air, rail and road with Mumbai and other cities of India.
Congenial environment is a pre- requisite for good learning. Stretching over 3000 square meters picturesque green area, the institute has a perfect setting for learning and reflection. All the workshops, laboratories and administrative office are located within the campus itself.
Infrastructural facilities consists of a two storyed building with spacious classrooms, conference room, seminar room, state-of-the-art computer labs, design studios, advanced diamond & gem testing laboratory, auditorium, mess, canteen, gymnasium, recreation room, guest rooms.
Feather in the Cap of IDI
- IDI offers a variety of training programmes, covering entire spectrum of Gems & Jewellery basket, i.e. Diamond Manufacturing, Diamond Grading, Jewellery Designing, Jewellery Manufacturing, Gemmology etc.
- Since inception, successfully trained more than 32000 students (on campus).
- Provided training to more than 3000 supervisors / managers of Diamond Manufacturing units in Surat, Mumbai, Ahmedabad & also trained more than 2000 Jewellers in the country located at Cochin, Coimbatore, Trichy, Bangalore, Ludhiana, Chandigarh, Delhi, Kolkata, Hyderabad, Hubli, Jaipur, etc.
- Approximately, 378 Superintendent / Appraisers level Central Excise & Customs officials of Government of India have been trained by IDI, on Diamond Grading, Gold Appraising & Rough Diamond sorting & its valuation aspects.
- Till date IDI has provided training to approximately 120 foreign nationals, particularly from the countries like Russia, Namibia, Tanzania, Congo, Zimbabwe, Europe, Nepal, UK, etc.
- To cater to the need of the Gem & Jewellery trade, IDI-Gemmological Laboratory had started offering Diamond Screening & Identification Services for star and melee size diamonds under aegis of Diamond Detection & Resource Centre (IDI-DDRC) which was set-up with the help of The Gem & Jewellery Export Promotion Council (GJEPC).